Cambodia is a country of charm and unique cultural heritage known across the globe for its incredible natural beauty, breathtaking temples, fertile rice paddy fields and a history past unlike any other. Should you decide to come and view the awe-inspiring temples of Angkor, you may find yourself transported into a world frozen in centuries past, which only comes to life in this special place.
The population of Cambodia today is about 14 million. About 90 percent of the people are Khmer ethnic. The remaining 10 percent include Chinese-Khmers, Khmer Islam or Chams, ethnic hill-tribe people, known as the Khmer Loeu, and Vietnamese. About 10 percent of the population lives in Phnom Penh, the capital, making Cambodia largely a country of rural dwellers, farmers and artisans.
Khmer is the official language. English, Chinese and French are popular second languages.
Theravada Buddhism is the official religion in Cambodia. The majority of people are Buddhist and 10% are Muslim or Christian.
The local currency is Riel, although the US dollar is widely accepted throughout the country and in all major markets.
Top-end hotels, airline offices and boutiques shops and restaurants generally accept most major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, JCB, sometimes American Express), but they usually pass the charges straight on to the customer, meaning an extra 3% on the bill.
Every passengers has to complete an immigration form and a separate customs declaration form for submission upon arrival.
Although not obligatory, tipping is widely practiced in hotels and restaurants. In addition to the service charges shown on bills, most people would leave some extra in the tray.
There are still many state-owned hospitals, where qualified doctors work. There are also a number of private clinics available in the major cities and most of these maintain international standards.
Van and Car rental is recommended for touring in the city and the outskirts. A few city buses are available on limited roads but these are irregular and may only be suitable for local people. Cyclos (pollution-free, human-powered Tricycle-taxis) and motor-taxis are plentiful, inexpensive, and readily available. We recommend Cyclos for an “in-touch with the people” experience. These are ubiquitous within the cities.
Automobile taxis are also available but not nearly as plentiful (or pollution-free).
There are two gateways for international telephone access from Cambodia by dialing 001 or 007 followed by the country code and the phone number. There are also four cellular phone service provides offering convenient communication via the GSM system, therefore many citizens now carry mobile phones. Phone IDD and facsimile are also available.
Postal rates are listed in post offices in the major towns and cities. Letter and parcels sent further a field than Asia can take up to or three weeks to reach their destination. Use a courier to speed things up such as DHL, FedEx, TNT and EMS. All have offices in Phnom Penh and some have branch in Siem Reap.
It is easy and cheap to access the Internet and email in Cambodia. There are a plenty of Internet cafes and many are open until late at night.
Telephone & Mobile
Mobile phones are everywhere in Cambodia, but landline access in major towns is also improving, connecting more of the country to the outside world than ever before.
International airport tax and domestic airport tax included in the airfare.
Food & Beverages
In Cambodia the basic meal is almost always built around rice and usually includes fish, chicken, pork, beef and fresh vegetables. While selecting from Khmer menus, we suggest you do order some fish for your meals, especially the popular Amok or Elephant fish dishes. Chinese, European, Thai and Vietnamese foods are also available in numerous restaurants in Cambodia’s